Satanno's token hoard: Season XXXII

Options
El Satanno
El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Yup! I'm at it again. Saved all me tokens last season, then opened all me tokens at once. Here's the hoard! I've added a couple more little statistical tidbits, but the methodology remains the same. I'll post the links to my previous hoards after this, too. Because someone out there might give a ****!

The hoard
  • 264 silver tokens
  • 33 Elite tokens
  • 168 mixed gold tokens
  • 3 Heroic 10-packs
  • 638 Command Points

The pulls:
Silver tokens (264)
Quicksilver (green)
Punisher (red)
Blade (black)
She-Hulk (red)
Daken (black)
Patch (red x2)
Falcon (yellow)
Hulk (red)
  • 3* pull rate: 3.4%
  • 2* pull rate: 11.3%

Elite tokens (33)
Squirrel Girl (yellow)
Spider-Man (yellow)
Black Widow (red, purple)
Falcon (purple)
Thor (yellow)
Captain Marvel (black)
Black Panther (yellow) <back to back with Captain Marvel
  • 3* pull rate: 24.2%

Heroic gold tokens (101, 115 after champion rewards)
Rocket & Groot (blue)
Cyclops (red)
Iron Man (yellow) < back to back with Cyclops
The No-Futzer (blue)
Scarlet Witch (green)
Colossus (yellow) <back to back with Scarlet Witch
Iron Fist (purple)
Nova (red)
Beast (yellow, blue)
Doctor Octopus (black) <four in a row w/ Iron Fist, Nova, Beast
Loki (purple x2) < one back to back with Beast blue
Ragnarok (red)
Cyclops (yellow)
Captain Marvel (black) <back to back with 3* Cyclops
Magneto (yellow)
Hood (yellow)
X-23 (green) <back to back with Hood
Doctor Doom (black, purple)
Totally Adequate Hulk (blue)
Psylocke (blue)
Bullseye (purple)
Elektra's Worthless **** (red)
Falcon (blue)
Totally Adequate Hulk (blue)
Wasp (yellow)
Magneto (yellow)
Deadpool (red)
Black Widow (green)

Heroic 10-packs (3)
Rocket & Groot (blue x2)
Iron Fist (green), Quake (blue), Cyclops (yellow)
Gamora (green), Punisher (black), Doctor Doom (purple)

Simulator (4)
Iron Man (blue)
Black Widow (green)
Quake (yellow)

Meet Rocket & Groot (5)
Squirrel Girl (green)
Patch (yellow)

Fresh Cut (3)
Thor (yellow)
Kingpin (yellow)

Earth's Mightiest (3)
War Machine (blue)
Black Panther (blue)

Cage Match (3)
Spider-Man (blue)

Best Friends Forever (3)
Human Torch (red)
Kamala Khan (green)

Class of 2016 (3)
Thor (yellow)

I Choose You! (3)
Rocket & Groot (blue)

Boss Rush (5, vault)
Hood (black)
Iron Fist (purple)

Thick as Thieves (6, vault)
Totally Adequate Hulk (black)
Colossus (red)
Sentry (red)

Dark Avengers: Heroic (5, vault)
Totally Adequate Hulk (black)
Patch (green)

Juggernaut: Heroic (6, vault)
Wasp (blue)

Venom Bomb (6, vault)
Cyclops (black)
Black Widow (red)
Thor (green)
Gwenpool (green)

Command Points (730 after champion rewards = 36 pulls)
Wasp (blue x2)
Quake (yellow)
Old Man Logan (red)
Thing (green, yellow)
Phoenix (green)
Moon Knight (black)
Baglady (green, blue)
Thor (blue, yellow)
Kingpin (purple)
Deadpool (black)
Star-Turd (red x2, yellow)
Ghost Rider (black)
X-23 (green)
Drax (purple)
Professor X (blue)
Elektra's Worthless **** (purple)
Iron Man 46 (red)
Iceman (blue)
The No-Futzer (purple)
Miles Morales (red, purple, yellow) <red and purple back to back with each other
Green Goblin (yellow)
Luke Cage (red)
Hulkbuster (black)
Peggy Carter (yellow)
Totally Adequate Hulk (green)
Faptain (red)
Nova (black)
Mr. Sucktastic (blue)

The following events yielded no gold pulls:
Black Vortex (3)
Fist Bump (3)
Sticks & Stones (3)
RAWR! (3)
I totally neglected to note how much Iso I finished with, because I'm stupid. It was a decent amount. icon_razz.gif
3* pull rate from gold (excluding 10-packs): 21.9%
4* pull rate from gold (excluding 10-packs): 9.8%
5* pull rate: 11.1%

Observations and (purely subjective) conclusions:
  1. For the first time in a very long time it seems that all my tokens behaved pretty much as expected. Except for the stupid 5* pulls...because those are the only ones that matter. Grumble, grumble.
  2. At least I got to sleep easy knowing that I could make use of those 5* pulls. I would surely be grinding my teeth in fury were I one of the unfortunate many to pull an unusable 5* cover. That **** is not acceptable.
  3. The 2* farm is perhaps the greatest thing ever. It makes opening almost every token feel much better, knowing that I'll have a use for almost everything that pops out. Whee!
  4. Is it just me, or did I pull an awful lot of yellow covers? Weird.
  5. Again, I didn't touch my Legendary Tokens. Banner and Black Widow are still on the Suck List and Doctor Strange is looming on the horizon. It's gonna be pretty big when I break the seal on those. As of this post I'm up to 40 in the bank!

I need to update my closing statement, now that we are already seeing a second wave of character re-balances with Star-Turd set to become Star-Not-As-Much-Of-A-Turd. I sure hope someone else coins a catchier name, like Totally Adequate Hulk. (That makes me giggle.) I'm hoping that the other bottom-of-the-barrel 4* characters (Elektra, Mr Fantastic, and Invisible Woman) will be up soon so I can stop banging on about this.

But the devs aren't off the hook yet!

Only slightly less deserving of scorn, vitriol, and unbridled rage is the 6th Cover Curse. Busting your **** to collect those Legendary Tokens or Command Points, getting the thrill of seeing that purple cover, then the high of an icon for someone you really need...and then HAHA ****, YOU CAN'T USE THAT SIXTH COVER! SUCK IT! That is just evil. Something really needs to be done. It's driving us, your dedicated, loyal players mad with anger. We want to enjoy that joy of finally making high-end progress and getting a 2k Iso kick in the nuts instead of meaningful progress is making many quit. Stop the insanity! So many good ways to go about it without suddenly increasing the flow of actual 5* covers are out on the boards here. Take one!

That's all I got. See you again after next season! Happy hoarding!

Comments

• El Satanno
    Options
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gotta agree with the 6th (or more) cover thing. it's the one thing really holding progress (and this game) back. just have it so you can pick the cover colour. the character draw can still be random. at the least have it so you can pay a small fee in hp or cp to change it.

they've made some really good changes lately. this would be the best thing they could do going forward.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't help but notice that you hardly ever get 15% on your 5* pulls.
  • MLDB
    MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

Insert CS cookie cutter statement about how pulls are random and there is nothing we can do about this. The game design works as intended.

Thank you for playing!
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

I can't help but notice you're complaining about plus or minus ONE cover.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

I can't help but notice you're bad at math.
  • carrion_pigeons
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

I can't help but notice you're bad at math.

4/36=11.1%
    5/36= 13.9%
    6/36=16.7%

The closest number to a pull rate of 15% would have been five. And...let me check...he got four! Does five minus four still equal one? They keep changing that on me, and I'm always the last to find out.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

I can't but help but notice you insist on stalking my posts to add embarrassingly weak attempts at rebuttals.

Don't be so lazy and try looking past his most hoard. I'm willing to bet that if you add them all up, his overall rate is statistically significantly lower than 15%.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've been hoarding quite awhile and I am only at 19 LTs and 600ish CP. How are you banking that much CP per season...
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

I can't but help but notice you insist on stalking my posts to add embarrassingly weak attempts at rebuttals.

Don't be so lazy and try looking past his most hoard. I'm willing to bet that if you add them all up, his overall rate is statistically significantly lower than 15%.
    Somewhere out there, someone has consistently gotten slightly higher than 15% on their 5* pulls. When you test out the distribution of a system, you test it over thousands of pulls. A sample size of dozens or hundreds isn't big enough to get accurate results.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Who is The No-Futzer? I can't figure it out and it's bugging more than it should. I've numbered it down to 5, but still am unsure.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

+-1 cover over 15 seasons really adds up
  • carrion_pigeons
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

If by embarrassingly weak you mean objectively factual, and by stalking you mean finding the least reasonable post in any thread and then always finding it to be by the same person, then yeah.

His stats are less than 15%. It continues to not be statistically significant by any objective mathematical standard you care to apply.

(Specifically between 9 and 10 percent over a sample size of 165, which is a miniscule sample. We're still talking about an error term in the single digits.)
  • El Satanno
    Options
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    Who is The No-Futzer? I can't figure it out and it's bugging more than it should. I've numbered it down to 5, but still am unsure.

Who indeed? icon_e_wink.gif
    simonsez wrote:

If by embarrassingly weak you mean objectively factual, and by stalking you mean finding the least reasonable post in any thread and then always finding it to be by the same person, then yeah.

His stats are less than 15%. It continues to not be statistically significant by any objective mathematical standard you care to apply.

(Specifically between 9 and 10 percent over a sample size of 165, which is a miniscule sample. We're still talking about an error term in the single digits.)

What I find funny about this exchange is that since I've logged everything here, one only needs to do a little math to have the factual answer. Hell, this season I even posted the entire summary of my hoards! But I'll spare everyone the legwork. It only took me two minutes:

Command Point 5* pulls
    • Season XXII: 4/36, 11.1%
    • Season XXXI: 4/30, 13.3%
    • Season XXX: 1/35, 2.8%
    • Season XXIX: 3/34, 8.8%
    • Season XXVIII: 4/36, 16.9%
    • Cumulative total: 16/171, 9.3%

I think simonsez's heated series of replies earned him a (unwarranted) ban, so I'll say it for him: Significantly lower than 15%.

Yes, you can go ahead and dismiss it as statistically insignificant. Bearing in mind that we're talking about a fraction of a fraction here: 15% advertised rate in what is easily the second-least-frequently pulled token type behind LT. We cannot possibly even guess what would qualify as significant unless we had an idea of what the sum total of CP pulls across the player base is. Obviously the devs aren't going to cough that number up. So yes, we're arguing about a difference of one (or two) covers, but each one is pretty important.
    Wobby wrote:
    I've been hoarding quite awhile and I am only at 19 LTs and 600ish CP. How are you banking that much CP per season...

Top progression in all Versus events (plus placement), top progression in all Story events (plus placement), all node rewards in all Story events, 2* farm, all 3* champed for rewards, 20+ 4* champed for rewards, plus the odd alliance buy or VIP re-up. Aren't I just Captain Frickin' Cool? icon_lol.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:
    STOPTHIS wrote:

Who indeed? icon_e_wink.gif
    simonsez wrote:

What I find funny about this exchange is that since I've logged everything here, one only needs to do a little math to have the factual answer. Hell, this season I even posted the entire summary of my hoards! But I'll spare everyone the legwork. It only took me two minutes:

Command Point 5* pulls
    • Season XXII: 4/36, 11.1%
    • Season XXXI: 4/30, 13.3%
    • Season XXX: 1/35, 2.8%
    • Season XXIX: 3/34, 8.8%
    • Season XXVIII: 4/36, 16.9%
    • Cumulative total: 16/171, 9.3%

I think simonsez's heated series of replies earned him a (unwarranted) ban, so I'll say it for him: Significantly lower than 15%.

Yes, you can go ahead and dismiss it as statistically insignificant. Bearing in mind that we're talking about a fraction of a fraction here: 15% advertised rate in what is easily the second-least-frequently pulled token type behind LT. We cannot possibly even guess what would qualify as significant unless we had an idea of what the sum total of CP pulls across the player base is. Obviously the devs aren't going to cough that number up. So yes, we're arguing about a difference of one (or two) covers, but each one is pretty important.
    Wobby wrote:

Top progression in all Versus events (plus placement), top progression in all Story events (plus placement), all node rewards in all Story events, 2* farm, all 3* champed for rewards, 20+ 4* champed for rewards, plus the odd alliance buy or VIP re-up. Aren't I just Captain Frickin' Cool? icon_lol.gif

Careful with the wording, in the field of data analysis staistically significant doesn't mean what it means everywhere else.

Statisical significance in data analysis is when it has been tested against the likelihood of said result happening by random chance being limited to a level of xx (commonly in research we use a level of 0.02 we hate the idea of random chance creating our results) if after applying said test your results are p<0.05 THEN we can say it's statistically significant.

In every other walk of life when someone says significant they mean important. My apologies if you already knew the above info I'm not trying to condescending in any way , most people aren't aware of it (why the hell would you be unless it's your occupation?)

Unless you've applied the applicable data analysis test on an appropriately large and representative number of participants Then one cannot say the results are statistically significant, one can only make guesses.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The statisical data may be insignificant, but being -9 on 5☆ draws as he is IS significant

He's 16:171, 15% would be 25:171
  • El Satanno
    Options
    Careful with the wording, in the field of data analysis staistically significant doesn't mean what it means everywhere else.

Statisical significance in data analysis is when it has been tested against the likelihood of said result happening by random chance being limited to a level of xx (commonly in research we use a level of 0.02 we hate the idea of random chance creating our results) if after applying said test your results are p<0.05 THEN we can say it's statistically significant.

In every other walk of life when someone says significant they mean important. My apologies if you already knew the above info I'm not trying to condescending in any way , most people aren't aware of it (why the hell would you be unless it's your occupation?)

Unless you've applied the applicable data analysis test on an appropriately large and representative number of participants Then one cannot say the results are statistically significant, one can only make guesses.

No offense taken. I am certainly no statistitisistiasitsiaitiacian. I think we needn't go into that level of detail besides. We're promised 15% pulls on CP and I'm an easy rebuttal. Until Demiurge provides their data, which they won't and understandably so, it's about all we have to go on. That's good enough for me.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm desperately short on iso. Maybe this time I can resist the lure of shiny tokens and hoard for a whole season... at the least I'm trying to track my pulls. icon_lol.gif
  • Horrorshow
    Options
    Not trying to be combative at all, but we are not guaranteed a 15% draw rate on 5*. It's actually a single draw rate of 5% for the 25 cp and whatever the diminished draw rate is for 20 cp.

In theory, if you were to add the percentages together, then yes, they would add to 15% out of 100%. However, since the number of legendary draws are not finite, like the vault draws, the draw rates/percentages are actually the lower number (5% for 25 cp).

In reality, barring the 1 season where you only drew 1 5*, your draw rates have been at least 100% better than the percentage guarantee. Pretty nifty how you've been keeping track of this!
  • carrion_pigeons
    Options
    16/171 puts you in the 6th percentile. I'm not going to go back and count through everything on my phone again, but I'll grant that I could have miscounted when I said 165.

In any case, you're getting there. Fall below the 5th percentile and you can claim your data as statistically significant evidence that "something" is going on.

I guess just hope you don't open any more 5*s for a while?