Skipping from two-stars straight to fivestars...

Options
Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I have been tanking a bit in PvP lately because, well, I have plenty of time to play so I may as well give away some easy Points. I have been a bit amazed by how many players there are out there that are in the two-star transition phase who have fivestar characters on their rosters.
I can absolutely see how this happens. The PvE progression CP is probably reachable even if you can't play one or two of the essential nodes, and there's also Alliance CP. So it's not strange that two-star players end up with CP, and there's really nothing to spend it on other than legendary tokens. Then again some of these guys don't have any fourstar characters on their roster, so I assume they buy legendary tokens just hoping for fivestars and Selling any fourstar covers.
I found this a bit interesting. I hope this is something that could be adressed by the Clearance Levels - I don't Think it's quite healthy for the game to have players that early in the game focusing on fivestars, but if there is less CP available at lower levels that might make it less appealing to just burn it on legendary tokens. Then again, I can see new players trying to take the fast route to a powerful roster anyway...
Adding some function for CP that's not just "buy more covers" would be a step in the right direction too...

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In theory scaling should solve this.... as much as I hate scaling. I guess it's not really doing it's job. As it is now it's rather punishing the veterans.

However from coin perspective - they have to give 5* to noobs as otherwise they would not stick to the game. They would see a mountain that you can't climb ever (all 2 - 3 - 4* - that is a lot of covers). So having some 5* they can use right away keeps the interest in the game.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    So it's not strange that two-star players end up with CP, and there's really nothing to spend it on other than legendary tokens. Then again some of these guys don't have any fourstar characters on their roster, so I assume they buy legendary tokens just hoping for fivestars and Selling any fourstar covers.
    Actually, they could also spend 20 CP to buy specific 3-star covers, which for 2-to-3-star transitioners I think is a much better way to spend CP than buying legendary tokens. With the right 3-stars cover maxed and levelled that's going to help them with progressing a lot.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    In theory scaling should solve this.... as much as I hate scaling. I guess it's not really doing it's job. As it is now it's rather punishing the veterans.

However from coin perspective - they have to give 5* to noobs as otherwise they would not stick to the game. They would see a mountain that you can't climb ever (all 2 - 3 - 4* - that is a lot of covers). So having some 5* they can use right away keeps the interest in the game.
    Yeah, I fully understand the appeal of big shinies, and the OP may have come across as more stingy than I originally intended. Maybe this is Another case that should just be filed under "fivestars wrecked this game!" This is hardly the biggest problem with fivestars, just the one I found most interesting.
    Quebbster wrote:
    So it's not strange that two-star players end up with CP, and there's really nothing to spend it on other than legendary tokens. Then again some of these guys don't have any fourstar characters on their roster, so I assume they buy legendary tokens just hoping for fivestars and Selling any fourstar covers.
    Actually, they could also spend 20 CP to buy specific 3-star covers, which for 2-to-3-star transitioners I think is a much better way to spend CP than buying legendary tokens. With the right 3-stars cover maxed and levelled that's going to help them with progressing a lot.
    At least some of these guys had no Three- or fourstars on
    At least some of these people had no Three- or fourstars on their rosters. So that particular spending option was not available.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is not just 5s, it is also 4s.

A lot of people start selling their 2s and 1s even when they have not yet levelled them. Why level a 15 level 2 if you get a 70 level 4. This is something I have seen a lot when we get new members in our alliance. People doesn't have a clear understanding on how they should progress in the game. They get a lot of 3s and 4s in the first months, and people doesn't want to buy 50 roster positions straight away, so they sell 2s and 1s, because 3s and 4s are better, even though they just have one or two covers of those.

People that start in the game should only win 1s and 2s for a while, then start winning 3s and finally 4s and 5s (those two can go together I guess). I hope Shield Rank and Clearance help with these, because I imagine a lot of people will stop playing when they don't know how to progress anymore.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:

Except for a maybe very few high priority covers, I don't know that it's ever worth buying a 3* cover. It will never be more than 40 days before a cover for any given character rolls around again in DDQ. The opportunity cost is pretty high.

IMO, every new player should just stockpile CPs and LTs aggressively from the moment they start playing until they start their 4* transition. Ideally, a player would stockpile several dozen LTs and 1 or 2 thousand CP in that time. They should then wait until the latest legends tokens have 3 good 5*s (something like the recent banner/BB/IM46) and then go crazy with all those tokens. That way they can avoid the problem that inevitably results from opening a few tokens here and there: a long bench full of mostly useless 1-4 cover 5*s.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    It is not just 5s, it is also 4s.

A lot of people start selling their 2s and 1s even when they have not yet levelled them. Why level a 15 level 2 if you get a 70 level 4. This is something I have seen a lot when we get new members in our alliance. People doesn't have a clear understanding on how they should progress in the game. They get a lot of 3s and 4s in the first months, and people doesn't want to buy 50 roster positions straight away, so they sell 2s and 1s, because 3s and 4s are better, even though they just have one or two covers of those.

People that start in the game should only win 1s and 2s for a while, then start winning 3s and finally 4s and 5s (those two can go together I guess). I hope Shield Rank and Clearance help with these, because I imagine a lot of people will stop playing when they don't know how to progress anymore.
    I remember that phase. As I recall, I ditched Modern Storm because I had gotten a Classic Storm and figured I only needed one. Of course, I sold off enough Modern covers to make a duplicate Before I ever got Another Classic Storm cover...
    I also remember getting incredibly excited getting a Dr Doom blue cover from a standard token - such incredible luck, pulling a rare cover from a standard token!
    I really hope clearance levels can help smooth out the transition phases. There should probably still be a chance for shinies though.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Except for a maybe very few high priority covers, I don't know that it's ever worth buying a 3* cover. It will never be more than 40 days before a cover for any given character rolls around again in DDQ. The opportunity cost is pretty high.

120 days for any specific cover, though. And if you're sitting on a 5/5/2 build and that third color isn't coming for months in DDQ, then you might want to think about it. Especially if you have some of the other two covers in the queue.