What's the process when your progress is reset...?

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Got the new patch on Steam, Avast decided to scan the file for some reason (it's never done that before), found no malware and allowed it to load.

Suddenly I'm thrust into a fight immediately with Ultron who has 300 HP and Nick Fury telling me how to play.

And I realise I have 0 ISO and 75HP and I can't access anything until I complete the tutorial. I quit the game but obviously Steam sync'd my new save. I believe the customer service team can roll me back? This is going to be annoying because I'm going to miss out on PvE stuff...

Comments

• Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    TBH I dont know the steam process. On a device, you just need to get past the tutorial and re-synch to FB, but that's obviously not an option. Try a ticket?
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Raise a ticket to CS. It happened to me before, though I'm an Android user so I'm not sure what kind of info you need to provide. The last time this happened to me (Dec 2015) I just provided upfront my IGN, my Facebook ID number, the last time I played with my original account and when I found out my save got destroyed. CS did their standard format reply to me asking for more details, but before I could reply that email everything was back up and running, so I assume that's enough.

Not sure about Steam though, probably you need to switch the Facebook ID number with your Steam username or ID number.

During that period my account was down I also read somewhere you could escalate the issue to David for assistance. I did that the last time, but it was back up by the time he replied, so I didn't need his help anymore by then. It's still worth a try though, he will be more than willing to help.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got the new patch on Steam, Avast decided to scan the file for some reason (it's never done that before), found no malware and allowed it to load.

Suddenly I'm thrust into a fight immediately with Ultron who has 300 HP and Nick Fury telling me how to play.

And I realise I have 0 ISO and 75HP and I can't access anything until I complete the tutorial. I quit the game but obviously Steam sync'd my new save. I believe the customer service team can roll me back? This is going to be annoying because I'm going to miss out on PvE stuff...

If it's anything like my experience when Steam Cloud suddenly got turned on on me, your save file is still on your machine.

I noticed that a while ago when I managed to load the game but it couldn't grab my save from the Cloud. It loaded my save from months ago, the one that got overwritten when my laptop uploaded its save to the Cloud and my PC downloaded it.

If you can figure out a way to force that one to the front, you can upload it back to the cloud. Wish I could be more help than that, but that might be a place to start.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:

If it's anything like my experience when Steam Cloud suddenly got turned on on me, your save file is still on your machine.

I noticed that a while ago when I managed to load the game but it couldn't grab my save from the Cloud. It loaded my save from months ago, the one that got overwritten when my laptop uploaded its save to the Cloud and my PC downloaded it.

If you can figure out a way to force that one to the front, you can upload it back to the cloud. Wish I could be more help than that, but that might be a place to start.

If you've kept a back-up you should be able to forcibly copy it on top of the location where the Steam cloud has downloaded and stored its local copy of the save. Then upon starting the game, the cloud integration should notice something funky is up with the file and will ask you whether to continue using the current local file or to download the cloud file.

Pick the option to continue using the local file, let the game start. It should load up from the back-up. Do anything that would require saving the game data. (I.e. any minor ISO investment will do.) And then quit the game. Because the modified timestamp will have changed, Steam Cloud will then sync the (now correct again) local copy of the save back to the cloud endpoint.

Note that this procedure has worked for me before, for atleast one other game which decided to hit a progress-ruining bug. But still; YMMV. MPQ might be a different beast.
    On the other hand; if the alternative is starting over anyway and getting customer support to move your old account's data to your new account, then you might as well just bite the bullet and give it a try.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    _RiO_ wrote:
    If you've kept a back-up you should be able to forcibly copy it on top of the location where the Steam cloud has downloaded and stored its local copy of the save. Then upon starting the game, the cloud integration should notice something funky is up with the file and will ask you whether to continue using the current local file or to download the cloud file.

Pick the option to continue using the local file, let the game start. It should load up from the back-up. Do anything that would require saving the game data. (I.e. any minor ISO investment will do.) And then quit the game. Because the modified timestamp will have changed, Steam Cloud will then sync the (now correct again) local copy of the save back to the cloud endpoint.

Note that this procedure has worked for me before, for atleast one other game which decided to hit a progress-ruining bug. But still; YMMV. MPQ might be a different beast.
    On the other hand; if the alternative is starting over anyway and getting customer support to move your old account's data to your new account, then you might as well just bite the bullet and give it a try.

I thought I had a backup. I have my external HDD set to backup c:\Users\username every night at midnight, but I cannot find the slot0 folder on the drive like it is on my computer. There's a Data folder and lots of individual .ini<numbers> files, but nothing that looks like a save file.

This is going to really eat if I have to make a new profile. I'll end up losing my alliance and such at that rate, too...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Okay, update.
    I tried opening Skyrim SKSE and it gave me a Steam error, so I closed Steam and re-opened it. Skyrim them loaded.
    I had a thought...maybe Steam had glitched? So I opened MPQ and suddenly everything's back.

Very bizarre and not something I want to go through again...
    Now I'm going to make sure I back up my save.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm relieved that it all worked out for you. It would have been completely crushing to have lost all of that save data.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Glad it all worked out, but for those who have this problem, figure Id post what to do anyway. This has happend to me....twice.

Email customer service right away to open a ticket. Include how much hp, iso and cp you had, and screenshots of your roster (anyone other than you will see the whole thing, for some reason, I had to have an alliance-mate send me screenshots of mine. Meanwhile, just play pvp or LR for a day or two. Pve wont reset scaling until the next event starts, so you wont be able to play. However, pvp goes to your level upon scrolling qs. CS will get back in a day or two and should be able to reset your roster as well as hp,cp and iso stores. I'd suggest requesting compensation for missed play in the form of iso and hp based on your current earning rates. Worked for me. When you get your roster back..it will still take an event for scaling in pve to update. So, enjoy beating level 70 goons on the hardest nodes with your full roster.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I am a Steam user here and I make sure to back up my MPQ save data at least once a month to an external drive just in case. I figure that way worse case scenario I lose 1 month or less of data if Cloud Sync or customer service are not able to get original data back.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay, update.
    I tried opening Skyrim SKSE and it gave me a Steam error, so I closed Steam and re-opened it. Skyrim them loaded.
    I had a thought...maybe Steam had glitched? So I opened MPQ and suddenly everything's back.

Very bizarre and not something I want to go through again...
    Now I'm going to make sure I back up my save.

I will say that I sometimes get Steam sync errors when the client wants to update. It'll say it can't sync my save before the game even loads. When I quit Steam and then reload everything, all is well.

I bet what happened to you is a subset of that.