I'm retiring from PvP

abmoraz
abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Just played the She-hulk PvP in slice 2 and this happened:

- Was shielded from the previous night's climb to 901.
- Broke shield, to fight the largest point I could find after 200iso of skip tax: 31 points
- do another skip tax of 200ISO... same guy is the only one I get worth more than 12 points. He's now worth 26
- come out of that battle, get hit, but successfully defend... +6 points for me! Now up to 964
- frantically cycle through skips looking for anything. Settle on someone worth 20 (probably the same guy, I didn't notice the names, too frantically skipping in hopes of getting to 1000)
- Come out of that battle... "YOU WERE ATTACKED! -331"

tinykitty this ****. tinykitty it in it's tinykitty mothers tinykitty gaping festering tinykitty.

I know it was only a Fister Mantastic card, but that's not the point. What is the incentive to play if I have to wager 100-150 points (on average at that level, the 331 is, quite honestly, an anomaly) in hopes of winning 20?

In writing this post, I have been hit 3 more times and am now under 600 points. No point in shielding now. What could've been a small profit for D3 (in me spending more CP to shield) has turned into nothing for them. I know it's not much, but the potential for us to spend more CP on shields is there if they could fix the tinykitty matching system.

And there is 2 more attacks in that last paragraph (and I'm not a slow typer). Down to 560.

I guess this is my queue to play Pokemon Go and give them my money instead. I'll still grind the PvE's for my alliance. But I'm pretty much done with PvP.

Comments

• Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    abmoraz wrote:

- Broke shield, to fight the largest point I could find after 200iso of skip tax: 31 points
    - do another skip tax of 200ISO... same guy is the only one I get worth more than 12 points. He's now worth 26
    - come out of that battle, get hit, but successfully defend... +6 points for me! Now up to 964
    - frantically cycle through skips looking for anything. Settle on someone worth 20 (probably the same guy, I didn't notice the names, too frantically skipping in hopes of getting to 1000)

tinykitty this ****. tinykitty it in it's tinykitty mothers tinykitty gaping festering tinykitty.

I know it was only a Fister Mantastic cover, but that's not the point. What is the incentive to play if I have to wager 100-150 points (on average at that level, the 331 is, quite honestly, an anomaly) in hopes of winning 20?

In writing this post, I have been hit 3 more times and am now under 600 points. No point in shielding now. What could've been a small profit for D3 (in me spending more CP to shield) has turned into nothing for them. I know it's not much, but the potential for us to spend more CP on shields is there if they could fix the tinykitty matching system.

And there is 2 more attacks in that last paragraph (and I'm not a slow typer). Down to 560.

I guess this is my cue to play Pokemon Go and give them my money instead. I'll still grind the PvE's for my alliance. But I'm pretty much done with PvP.

FTFY.

All joking aside, PVP is for sure frustrating at the level I'm guessing you're at. We've all been there. Continue to develop your roster, and you can get that 1k much easier. Also, just some tips-
    1) attacks under 40ish points aren't worth your time
    2) Queue up 3 solid attacks for shield breaking while you're shielded. Frantically searching for queues is a hint that you've been out for too long (for all but the highest of rosters). Have a plan before going out.
    3) It sucks, but at low levels consider only doing 2 matches in a shield break. ESPECIALLY if you're fighting A teams.
    4) Skip tax sucks, but be prepared to pay the piper if you want to find targets. I keep about a 10-20k iso cushion in bank for skip tax if that tells you anything.

Keep at it, and I hope you have better luck going forward
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander covered it. Don't break shield without points lined up. If they're not there at the moment, come back later.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I've had days where I've been really lucky and had three 75 point cupcakes queued up and I can still only win 2 out of the 3 matches before I suffer a hit. I'm not sure what your roster is but with my 3* champions if I'm serious about getting to 1K I have to have 2 fast matches queued up and unshied, hit them both and reshield. Winning 150 points is better than winning 225 and losing 120.

I'm getting close to being able to field some 4*'s so hopefully that experience changes a bit. Whether my float point gets higher or I'm able to get the third match in without getting hit before I reshield I'm hoping it gets easier to get to 1k.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry to pile on, but you really couldn't have managed your shield hop any worse than that.

Use your skips well before breaking shield, check back in an hour or so if there aren't any good ones. A long time ago before I was hopping I read someone here say "if you're searching for a target after breaking shield, you're doing it wrong and you're going to lose". That stuck with me.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most important advice: stay out of S2.

You'll hit 1k with ease in any other slice.

That's assuming you know how to hop, you got advice for that already.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    abmoraz wrote:

Only responding because I remember you from the Heavy Metal PVP before She Hulk when I had you queued up before I shielded around 850 or so and saw you were shielded as well. Mistakes in shield hopping had me ending that event in the mid 500s, so I feel your pain.

I stopped quoting at the point above because this is where I would have thrown down another shield. You got two battles into a shield hop and got lucky in winning a defensive match in that time. That's the point where I'm telling myself, "Uh-oh, folks are seeing me in their queues and probably in the middle of multiple battles against me. Time to shield and hope I didn't lose to much ground"

I'd also make sure I'm not skip-searching for viable targets while unshielded. That's another 150 points in defeat inevitably heading your way when the server lag resolves.

Honestly, I don't think those players without two strong 5*s and a maxxed boosted featured character can make a three match shield hop without getting the beatdown, unless in the most extraordinary of circumstances (baby/lazy bracket or climbing at an ungodly hour when no one is up or when everyone is at work)

Hope you don't really quit PVP and just give it a break and come back to it after killing it in PVE. Good luck.
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    edited July 2016
    You pretty much got all the best advice already. You basically have to think of "how" and "when" to hop as a strategy in itself (it's basically the PvP equivalent to optimal play in PvE). If you ignore it, then other players who are using it will always do better. I will add one additional note though: while cycling through opponents while shielded, try to find ones that are a.) in your same bracket or b.) in one of the top 10 alliances. The reason is because you can track both via the various standings screens. Nothing is more infuriating than lining up a 75 pt match, only to win it hours later and have it be worth 20pts because the guy also didn't shield.

I wouldn't give up PvP too hastily before trying it with the right strategy. If you play it right, it's significantly more efficient at getting rewards than PvE (more awards with less playtime). I especially wouldn't judge too harshly based on a She Hulk tourney with Red Hulk buffed (they are both a total pain to deal with).
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    s2... it's been no bed of cakes,
    No pleasure Crews.
    I consider it a challenge before the whole human race
    And I ain't gonna lose
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    The only additional advice I can offer is in regards to your skip tax - 200 ISO is nothing. To find good targets when hopping will typically require more than a mere 20 skips - even when coordinating. Check back as often as you can to load fresh targets. Check your leaderboard for high value targets to unshield and then skip to find them.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:

*snip*
    It's like the clock wound back to March 2015 or so. icon_lol.gif

Nah, xfw was still good in march. Its like may 1, 2015. Thorverine was dead, IMHB hadn't yet been released, shield cooldown and the current scoring systems were still relatively new, as was the healthshift. No one knew what the new meta was. 1K was a real pain the **** then. Of course about a month later everyone figured out the new meta was imhb/if and started whaling imhb.

#oldtimeynostalgia
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    HaywireII wrote:
    I've had days where I've been really lucky and had three 75 point cupcakes queued up and I can still only win 2 out of the 3 matches before I suffer a hit. I'm not sure what your roster is but with my 3* champions if I'm serious about getting to 1K I have to have 2 fast matches queued up and unshied, hit them both and reshield. Winning 150 points is better than winning 225 and losing 120.

I'm getting close to being able to field some 4*'s so hopefully that experience changes a bit. Whether my float point gets higher or I'm able to get the third match in without getting hit before I reshield I'm hoping it gets easier to get to 1k.

It depends on when you're breaking shield compared to the time remaining in the event. When it gets to the last hour or two and people are desperate for points, I try to limit myself to two minute shield hops. So if I hit a cupcake and finish the match in 60 seconds, I'll go ahead and hit the second cupcake. If the first match took longer, I'll stop and reshield. It's better than losing 100+ because you stayed out too long.

If you have cupcakes lined up near expiration, you could break shield at 2 1/2 minutes mark and try to hit you cakes then. By that point, it's highly unlikely anyone will be able to hit you (unless you were lined up by the attacker already).
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:

*snip*

Nah, xfw was still good in march. Its like may 1, 2015. Thorverine was dead, IMHB hadn't yet been released, shield cooldown and the current scoring systems were still relatively new, as was the healthshift. No one knew what the new meta was. 1K was a real pain the **** then. Of course about a month later everyone figured out the new meta was imhb/if and started whaling imhb.

#oldtimeynostalgia

No, it was March 2015 when thorevine was nerfed to oblivion. I remember quite clearly b/c that's when my T50 season commander rage quit the game. Like many players, he became addicted to that combo and refused to expand his roster to try other characters for pvp.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    abmoraz wrote:

I know it was only a Fister Mantastic card, but that's not the point. What is the incentive to play if I have to wager 100-150 points (on average at that level, the 331 is, quite honestly, an anomaly) in hopes of winning 20?

I guess this is my queue to play Pokemon Go and give them my money instead. I'll still grind the PvE's for my alliance. But I'm pretty much done with PvP.
    Slice 2 is pretty much a dead zone with the only top alliance of note (crews)being made up of fairly high 5 stars.i bet if u chose another slice you would have no trouble hitting 1k and would be planning out hitting 1.3 instead.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Just wanted to say I'm in the same/opposite boat. Same as in I'm quitting, opposite as in PvE instead. But also PvP too. icon_lol.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:

*snip*

#oldtimeynostalgia

No, it was March 2015 when thorevine was nerfed to oblivion. I remember quite clearly b/c that's when my T50 season commander rage quit the game. Like many players, he became addicted to that combo and refused to expand his roster to try other characters for pvp.

Thor was nerfed in March 2015. Xfw was nerfed on April 17, 2015, same day as the healthshift.

I know that because I got my 13th cover for Xfw from the run of teenage riot that ended in April 7th (this one: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=20&t=27027).