Help me understand the "pay to win" mentality

Options
Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The way I understand it, the goal of the game is to place well, so you can get resources to build your roster (ISO, HP, CP, covers), so you can place well, so you can get resources to build your roster...

If you just buy all the latest and greatest, where's the fun? There's no climb, or grind, or sense of joy when you finally pull that fifth Hood blue.

Now this is not a value judgment because I think everyone should play however they want and find their enjoyment however they see fit. I also appreciate the whales and other spenders dumping so much into a game I enjoy and spend a lot of time on. I'm really just trying to understand where the joy lies because I feel it's equivalent to typing a cheat code on the Sims and having infinite money. I'm sure it's super fun to build a house with no restrictions but after that I imagine the game gets old fast.

I've thought about putting SOME money into the game as a thank you but haven't because I like knowing every cover, level, roster spot, etc. came from playing the game. Now, the trade off is my roster is way behind where it should be for a guy on day 617 (at least I'd imagine), but still I enjoy the game for what it is. Grinding and progressing is fun.

Again, if this sounds like I'm looking down on spenders or saying my way is better. That's not at all my thought process. Just generally interested in how the other side lives.

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not sure about the mega whales. I have spent a bit of money for roster spots myself. I'm close to day 650 and have spent I think 45 us dollars total.

In general I would say people super whaling is a reflection of our society. People hate to wait. They want it and they want it now.

I think of veruca salt from willy wonka. "I want an oompa loompa NOW daddy!"
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    tiomono wrote:
    I'm not sure about the mega whales. I have spent a bit of money for roster spots myself. I'm close to day 650 and have spent I think 45 us dollars total.

In general I would say people super whaling is a reflection of our society. People hate to wait. They want it and they want it now.

I think of veruca salt from willy wonka. "I want an oompa loompa NOW daddy!"
    Nailed it! I have spent a little myself, for the same reason, and that money was a gift. Most gamers play games because that is what they do for recreation. The people that spend a ton I assume they have a ton of money. I personally know someone that plays ands spends a lot. But that's what they do. I also know he has been through 4 phones since 2013 because of this game. icon_lol.gif Some just see games differently. Me. I just like playing, and am in no hurry.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've spent a bit on this game, but thats more for roster slots. I'd never go down the road of whales a) because the cost is ridiculous to do so and b) I enjoy this game and I know my enjoyment would go if I handed myself all the cool new toys.

I dont even have a maxed out 3* yet, and I'm on day 400+! I'm perfectly fine with that too cause the game is about having fun in my spare time.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This game demands a significant time investment. Spending money substitutes for that time. As an example, a person might not have time to play a new character PvE release, and so buy a 40 pack instead (ie choose to spend time with their significant other, kids, etc). I guess I'm talking about moderate spenders, not people who automatically were maxing everyone out on release. Having said that, if someone liked maxing a character out straightaway, as long as they're enjoying the game, that's great too.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm really just trying to understand where the joy lies because I feel it's equivalent to typing a cheat code on the Sims and having infinite money. I'm sure it's super fun to build a house with no restrictions but after that I imagine the game gets old fast.

That's an okay analogy, but it misses out on the fun of actually using the house.

It's more like, you used that infinite money to build the super awesome house, and then you get to the actual fun part, which is using that house to throw parties and attract new friends and guests who you would've had a hard time attracting otherwise. Well, something like that.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Remember how the forums raged when the developers made changes on the basis of "fun," and half the forumites hated it? You're doing the same thing here - assuming you know what's fun for everyone. It's a game. Some people like to be able to play the full game right from the beginning, without unlocking anything. Some people enjoy using different characters to make their teams, or want to use their favorite characters. If I was a really huge X-23 fan but couldn't care less about the other characters, I'd probably throw money just to use X-23. Just because the way you have fun is to grind out a game for years doesn't mean that everyone has fun that way.

At some point, if you enjoy match-3 but get tired of the grind, you compare the cost vs the benefit of getting those covers. While the former cost of ~$20 per 4* cover no longer applies, how many hours does it take you to get a specific cover? Do you have a job? How much do you make an hour at your job? If I'm making $100 an hour and working hard during the day, I'm not going to come home and fight tooth and nail day after day for scraps of 4*s unless that's what is fun to me. I can buy 10 covers and make my money back in 2 hours. Obviously if you make $10 an hour, those 10 covers mean a lot more to you.

tl;dr - it's all in how you value your time versus your money and compares to how much you like the grind of the game versus just the match-3 game itself.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    cyineedsn wrote:
    I'm really just trying to understand where the joy lies because I feel it's equivalent to typing a cheat code on the Sims and having infinite money. I'm sure it's super fun to build a house with no restrictions but after that I imagine the game gets old fast.

That's an okay analogy, but it misses out on the fun of actually using the house.

It's more like, you used that infinite money to build the super awesome house, and then you get to the actual fun part, which is using that house to throw parties and attract new friends and guests who you would've had a hard time attracting otherwise. Well, something like that.
    What's more fun, having a 1/1/2 character that you might be able to use in a few months, or a built 5/5/3 that you can use NOW
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    This game demands a significant time investment. Spending money substitutes for that time. As an example, a person might not have time to play a new character PvE release, and so buy a 40 pack instead (ie choose to spend time with their significant other, kids, etc). I guess I'm talking about moderate spenders, not people who automatically were maxing everyone out on release. Having said that, if someone liked maxing a character out straightaway, as long as they're enjoying the game, that's great too.

I agree that money is a substitute for time. I like spending my time on this game, because I find it fun. If I have other obligations, or find something else more enjoyable and miss out on a cover for the newest toon, then oh well. Maybe I'll get a lucky pull. But if I'm going to buy it outright there wouldn't be much incentive for me to try.

cyineedsn wrote:

Right. Or in GTA, using a weapons cheat, then driving the tank around destroying everyone after. To me it's fun, but after five minutes I want to go back to the challenge of the actual game.

Remember how the forums raged when the developers made changes on the basis of "fun," and half the forumites hated it? You're doing the same thing here - assuming you know what's fun for everyone. It's a game. Some people like to be able to play the full game right from the beginning, without unlocking anything. Some people enjoy using different characters to make their teams, or want to use their favorite characters. If I was a really huge X-23 fan but couldn't care less about the other characters, I'd probably throw money just to use X-23. Just because the way you have fun is to grind out a game for years doesn't mean that everyone has fun that way.

At some point, if you enjoy match-3 but get tired of the grind, you compare the cost vs the benefit of getting those covers. While the former cost of ~$20 per 4* cover no longer applies, how many hours does it take you to get a specific cover? Do you have a job? How much do you make an hour at your job? If I'm making $100 an hour and working hard during the day, I'm not going to come home and fight tooth and nail day after day for scraps of 4*s unless that's what is fun to me. I can buy 10 covers and make my money back in 2 hours. Obviously if you make $10 an hour, those 10 covers mean a lot more to you.

tl;dr - it's all in how you value your time versus your money and compares to how much you like the grind of the game versus just the match-3 game itself.

I don't think I've assumed anything. In fact I was very clear in my OP that 1) this is where I see the fun in the game for ME 2) I'm not making a value judgment and am aware and advocate for everyone finding their own fun with the game 3) am genuinely curious about how the spenders find their enjoyment. Testy testy.

I also stated I've actually wanted to spend money on this game (so it's not a penny pinching thing), it's just part of my enjoyment comes from earning everything I have in this game from playing the game.
    fmftint wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:

What's more fun, having a 1/1/2 character that you might be able to use in a few months, or a built 5/5/3 that you can use NOW

Assuming I got the former through playing and the latter through purchasing, easily the former. I have a roster of 85 toons I think. I'm definitely not in 4* land yet and am actually trying to stay in 3* land longer now thanks to championing (not using CP or opening anything other than standard tokens while I champ all my 3s).

My point with this is, with 85 characters I don't need to play character #86 today. I have so many characters I barely play as is, so it's not like there aren't options. I'd rather just play what I've earned and if I one day get another viable guy covered and leveled, cool. If not, it's not like I don't have an abundance of options.
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    I don't think I've assumed anything. In fact I was very clear in my OP that 1) this is where I see the fun in the game for ME 2) I'm not making a value judgment and am aware and advocate for everyone finding their own fun with the game 3) am genuinely curious about how the spenders find their enjoyment. Testy testy.

I also stated I've actually wanted to spend money on this game (so it's not a penny pinching thing), it's just part of my enjoyment comes from earning everything I have in this game from playing the game.

If you're just genuinely curious and have no negative connotations despite your diction choice (though to be fair, it's mostly the people who posted after you), then... you asked a meaningless question. Some people hate chocolate. You're essentially saying "chocolate is delicious, help me understand why you don't like chocolate." You might as well ask someone why they have a genetic defect. Sure, theoretically there's likely a cause developed somewhere in each person's decades of experience that makes them think something is fun or something isn't - but without following a large group of people from birth, there's really not any way that someone could identify what those causes are.

I'm not even a P2Wer, so I can't speak on their behalf - but if I were I'd just turn around and ask you, "help me understand why you would want to waste countless hours on the game for no progress when you can effectively accelerate the transition for a sum." I don't think you'd ever be able to convince that person that what you're doing is worthwhile, but that's fine - that's just how you enjoy the game compared to how they do.
  • Daredevil217
    Options

If you're just genuinely curious and have no negative connotations despite your diction choice (though to be fair, it's mostly the people who posted after you), then... you asked a meaningless question. Some people hate chocolate. You're essentially saying "chocolate is delicious, help me understand why you don't like chocolate." You might as well ask someone why they have a genetic defect. Sure, theoretically there's likely a cause developed somewhere in each person's decades of experience that makes them think something is fun or something isn't - but without following a large group of people from birth, there's really not any way that someone could identify what those causes are.

I'm not even a P2Wer, so I can't speak on their behalf - but if I were I'd just turn around and ask you, "help me understand why you would want to waste countless hours on the game for no progress when you can effectively accelerate the transition for a sum." I don't think you'd ever be able to convince that person that what you're doing is worthwhile, but that's fine - that's just how you enjoy the game compared to how they do.

Those are god awful analogies. The reason one enjoys playing a game one way versus another is not an inherent character trait. And it can absolutely be explained without the need for decades of research. I'm not trying to convince anyone to stop spending money, nor am I looking for someone to convince me to start. You seem to have it in your head that I'm assuming a "best way to play" when I've only asserted a best way to play for me.

To answer your question, I do feel I progress. I have 25 3* at 166 or better (all champed), with enough ISO to bring that number to 29. I have over 100 CP, over 50 heroic or better tokens, over 4000 Hero Points, and 85 roster spots. I also have every 2 (all champed), 3, and 4* in the game.

Second I don't think it's a waste of time (nor do I think spending on MPQ is a waste of money for those who value that). I enjoy playing the game and it's why I spend so much time playing it. Honestly there are days I wish I could play more, but I've cleared my PVE nodes and DDQ is done and I always do a quick climb in PVP so if there's not one about to end I have nothing to play. If I ever began to feel I was wasting my time I'd do something else.

Finally, to me the transition IS the fun part. So I'm not in a hurry to accelerate it. The reason my roster is so deep is because I took my time in 2* land, I hoarded ISO, I soft capped my 3* at 94 all the way until the ISO reduction and only then brought them to 120. I had about TWO MILLION Iso just sitting there. Does that sound like a person looking to "accelerate the transition"? So for me the fun is transitioning, grinding, collecting. I love the feeling of pulling the one cover you need or placing well in an event with a subpar roster. I've heard people (F2P or PTW) say the game is less fun once you transition when every cover is garbage except a handful of 4*. It's fun in the beginning when every cover is meaningful and you have more to strive for. Hell people in my alliance have made new accounts just to recapture that, and many are applauding championing because it essentially stretches out the transition. If you're generally interested, there are some of the reasons why I prefer F2P but I'd love to hear where the joy comes from in P2W as well.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The way I understand it, the goal of the game is to place well, so you can get resources to build your roster (ISO, HP, CP, covers), so you can place well, so you can get resources to build your roster...

If you just buy all the latest and greatest, where's the fun? There's no climb, or grind, or sense of joy when you finally pull that fifth Hood blue.

Now this is not a value judgment because I think everyone should play however they want and find their enjoyment however they see fit. I also appreciate the whales and other spenders dumping so much into a game I enjoy and spend a lot of time on. I'm really just trying to understand where the joy lies because I feel it's equivalent to typing a cheat code on the Sims and having infinite money. I'm sure it's super fun to build a house with no restrictions but after that I imagine the game gets old fast.

I've thought about putting SOME money into the game as a thank you but haven't because I like knowing every cover, level, roster spot, etc. came from playing the game. Now, the trade off is my roster is way behind where it should be for a guy on day 617 (at least I'd imagine), but still I enjoy the game for what it is. Grinding and progressing is fun.

Again, if this sounds like I'm looking down on spenders or saying my way is better. That's not at all my thought process. Just generally interested in how the other side lives.

There's an emerging sub-field of study on the psychology of freemium/pay-to-win games:

http://www.psychguides.com/interact/the ... -freemium/

http://www.psychologyofgames.com/2015/0 ... backfires/
  • Daredevil217
    Options

There's an emerging sub-field of study on the psychology of freemium/pay-to-win games:

http://www.psychguides.com/interact/the ... -freemium/

http://www.psychologyofgames.com/2015/0 ... backfires/

Article 1 spoke a lot about how these games tap into the nature of addiction
    What could possibly motivate users to spend $30 or $50 at a time on a free smartphone game? Game developers have learned to make their apps as appealing as possible by directly exploiting the mechanism of addiction. Habit formation is inseparable from the workings of dopamine in the brain, a neurotransmitter that’s tied to learning, exploring, seeking out novelty, and feelings of being rewarded.

Drugs that increase dopamine levels to treat Parkinson’s disease were found to have unexpected side effects and, in some cases, have elicited compulsive gambling behavior. Other drugs that modulate dopamine work in the opposite direction, rendering their effects useful as an aid to quit smoking. Depending on the direction of the change, manipulating levels of dopamine can either reduce feelings of reward – or kick them into high gear.

This all makes sense, but in our game doesn't the P2W take the random chance/slot machine aspect out of the equation? I guess this makes sense for people dropping large sums on cover packs but not those buying covers directly.

Article 2 discusses more social psychology.
    Having to make an upwards social comparison where I come out looking bad relative to someone can make me see myself as inferior. That’s unpleasant for me, but hey that’s how it is. It seems pretty natural for more powerful or capable players to have higher status.

This article makes it almost seem like people are buying their way to the top of freemium games because of some weird gamer inferiority complex. In that, the game itself isn't as important as the status that comes with being "the best" (which in our thing is measured by a) roster quality b) how well you place in events). I guess this one makes a little more sense. Interesting it mentions how the "have nots" hate on the whales and are more likely to spend to even the odds as a result. I think that's where a lot of the non whale occasional spenders fall. I definitely don't fit in either category and I think the key is I compare myself to myself rather than to others. I think this may be a key distinction. If I cared how I stacked up compared to others maybe I'd pay.

As a somewhat related aside, one thing that I always found interesting about this game is there's little incentive to progress (which is why it's always been easy for me to hoard). As I get better so does the quality of the teams I see, so I pretty much place as well now as I did when my team was all 94s. Scaling and whatnot actually punishes progression. If the rewards were greater as you face greater foes maybe it'd be more worth it, but that's not really the case.

Back on topic, great articles, thank you! As a psychologist it's interesting to read about the psychology of gamers. Neither article fully answered from the gamers perspective what they would say the appeal is (maybe Xandor is on to something saying that for them it's like asking why one likes chocolate; because no one is going to say I'm pay to win because the game exploits my addictive personality and insecurities, lol).
  • VA5
    VA5 Posts: 66
    Options
    It depends or your mentality and means. I am a moderate spender buying a Stark's Salary every few months. I used to buy one or two levels on selected 4's when I had most of the other covers. At the level I'm currently at any character less than level 250 is not really helping me in gameplay. The new characters can breath a lot of new life in gameplay (for example prior to JG I began to use Prof X who's game strategies were different than any other character).
    The next step in the equation is "time is money". The players I do not understand are the PVE's that grind there way to the very top positions. I can not see this as an measure of enjoyability. It's much easier and quicker to use real money to achieve your means. If you are a professional who makes over $100 an hour do you want to grind through repeated meaningless events or simply work an hour and achieve far more.
    I do agree with you on the "megawhales". It's always irked me to see characters released that week and people already have them fully covered and leveled. To me that defeats any sense of accomplishment in game progression.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Geez, soooo many words, when all anyone had to say is "ego".

And I don't say that disparagingly. Ego can be a healthy thing. But come on, that's all it is.
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Geez, soooo many words, when all anyone had to say is "ego".

And I don't say that disparagingly. Ego can be a healthy thing. But come on, that's all it is.

I don't even think it's that. How many Star-Lords and Invisible Women have you unnecessarily pulled? How many tokens have you opened trying to get a certain character or two - to get nothing at all? These people have enough income and enough desire to buy the covers they want that they don't want to go through umpteen Star-Lords to get their Jean Grays. Do some people do it just to have the latest and greatest, and beat on others? Sure. I'd say that's the same mentality of veterans getting angry at newbies who "want things handed to them." The reason they don't is because they don't want to give up their advantage, and probably where the whole anti-P2W mentality comes in - P2W negates their advantage instantly, so in turn people disparage it (while giving it enough face to say 'thanks for supporting the game') and try to put new level on it, such as "oh, well, I'm F2P and F2P takes skill"

@Daredevil:

The PvE scaling does negate some incentive to level guys up - but having a max 3* team or a max 4* team makes PvP significantly easier. Not sure breaking 1K is possible with a 94 team, but a 3* team can do it with shields and a good 4* team can do it regularly.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The rationale for "pay to win" lies right there in the third word.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just winning all the time would bore me, personally. I like that I might lose. I'd find the game became un-installed fairly quickly if all I ever did was win.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't even think it's that. How many Star-Lords and Invisible Women have you unnecessarily pulled? How many tokens have you opened trying to get a certain character or two - to get nothing at all? These people have enough income and enough desire to buy the covers they want that they don't want to go through umpteen Star-Lords to get their Jean Grays.
    I totally understand spending money to complete JG. Hell, I used HP to fill out her last 3 covers way back when. But I wouldn't call that P2W. When it comes to a character like JG, that's more like P2C (pay to compete). I interpreted the OP to be talking about unnecessary, exorbitant spending, ie running around with a lv350 Miles before his event is even over, or having championed 5*s at absurdly high levels.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Where I have trouble understanding the "must have everything NOW" attitude is from a diversity perspective.

I do agree with the OP that the transition IS the game (personally enjoyed the game more during the 3* transition, rather than when I got there!) but also fully understand the analogy where someone has worked all day & doesn't want to work (grind) all night in a game for what they want.

Once the megawhales have their 3 x Lv 450's (or is it 550's now?) what team do they play? The same one every time? I cant imagine a node that is going to be anything other than a cakewalk for a maxed SS, OML & Phoenix. The game does not cater for experimenting with other teams other than your A-Team due to scaling & matchmaking issues. This is personally why I enjoyed 3* land more, as there was more choice on characters to use (even then problems arose - Sentry/Hood etc.).

Would be interesting to have a whaler comment on the whole issue really.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As some have pointed out, paying would be less appealing if characters were more or less balanced. I would exchange 80% of my 30ish maxed 3* and 95% of my 4* for a Hulkbuster and a Jean Grey.