Phaserhawk's Ranking of 4* (Until Colognoisseur's updates)

2

Comments

  • RuinateRuinate Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2015
    I recently bought a Cyclops blue to bring him to 5/2/5. 2-3 in yellow is nothing so I am perfectly fine waiting on the last yellow. I am not in love with him. I've been using HB/IF/Cyclops all week in pve thinking that team would allow me to Punch very fast and often. Not quite true. Either there are no team ups to grab, or reds tiles are too spaced apart for a good use of blue. At 10 red ap (and 10 team up) even with HB boosted, Cyclops hits harder so I try to use his red. I've probably pulled off a fully loaded Combined Forces maybe 3 times total all week.

    Maybe I'm just not playing him properly.
  • simonsezsimonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Am i the only person alive that actually likes star lord?seriously a 535 sl with a 355 cyc and switch can destroy a lot of good teams and most important of all is fun to play with.i think a lotta ppl think meh about certain characters without taking the time to find ones that fit
    Yeah, when things go in your favor, that'd work out great, but on average, SL's red countdown is only going to survive half the time. In terms of average damage/AP, you'd be better off using anyone else's red.
  • TxMooseTxMoose Age Unconfirmed Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Am i the only person alive that actually likes star lord?seriously a 535 sl with a 355 cyc and switch can destroy a lot of good teams and most important of all is fun to play with.i think a lotta ppl think meh about certain characters without taking the time to find ones that fit
    I like using him when he's boosted. venom heroic when he got the essential boost, I played him and mostorm a ton. however, unboosted, he's not getting any more iso from me to make him viable for anything other than an easy/trivial pve node once in a while. I have him high enough for his ddq day and he'll remain there for a long time to come.
  • mjhmjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    LOW-TIER
    =============================
    14.) X-Force Wolverine
    15.) Fury
    16.) Ant-Man
    17.) Totally Awesome Hulk
    18.) Mr. Fantastic
    =============================
    Trash-Tier
    =============================
    19.) Sam Wilson Cap America
    20.) Star-Lord
    21.) Elektra
    22.) Invisible Woman
    23.) Devil Dinosaur

    You put Fury and XFW in with MrF and TAHulk? No.
    MrF and TAHulk are trash and have no business in the same league as Fury and XFW. Fury IMO doesn't need any rework. He's got 3 great active skills, one of which is usually a 1-shot. XFW also has a potential 1-shot.

    Case in point, when 4*DDQ comes up, your odds of winning with Fury or XFW are much higher than those other 2, comparing both optimally fully covered and maxed.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mr. fantastic is support which is why you didn't see him doing very well from the dead pool daily pair him with carnage and you'll truly see how good Mr. fantastic can be. If he didn't over lap with so many colors as hulk buster and his black matched hold busters colors they would be insane together. I think Mr. fantastic will be good eventually once enough character show up right now he is lacking

    TAHulk. As I said before I'm giving him a pass right now but he's pretty much going to fall into trash tier unless somebody comes out to really combo with him
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Am i the only person alive that actually likes star lord?seriously a 535 sl with a 355 cyc and switch can destroy a lot of good teams and most important of all is fun to play with.i think a lotta ppl think meh about certain characters without taking the time to find ones that fit

    I like him, but he's not competitive. PvE he's a different story, but either way, his tiles need a if destroyed clause and he would probably move to mid tier
  • udonomefooudonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    I recently bought a Cyclops blue to bring him to 5/2/5. 2-3 in yellow is nothing so I am perfectly fine waiting on the last yellow. I am not in love with him. I've been using HB/IF/Cyclops all week in pve thinking that team would allow me to Punch very fast and often. Not quite true. Either there are no team ups to grab, or reds tiles are too spaced apart for a good use of blue. At 10 red ap (and 10 team up) even with HB boosted, Cyclops hits harder so I try to use his red. I've probably pulled off a fully loaded Combined Forces maybe 3 times total all week.

    Maybe I'm just not playing him properly.

    Same. He seems very board dependent. I seem to remember reading that the drop rate for TU tiles is lower than colored tiles, so once the board gets barren of TUs, you're going to need to get really lucky to get more. I keep seeing that he's top 3, but that just makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong (or if I've just been really unlucky with boards).
  • Stax the FoyerStax the Foyer Age Unconfirmed Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Am i the only person alive that actually likes star lord?seriously a 535 sl with a 355 cyc and switch can destroy a lot of good teams and most important of all is fun to play with.i think a lotta ppl think meh about certain characters without taking the time to find ones that fit
    Yeah, when things go in your favor, that'd work out great, but on average, SL's red countdown is only going to survive half the time. In terms of average damage/AP, you'd be better off using anyone else's red.
    That's where Captain Falcon comes in. Synergy!
  • simonsezsimonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's where Captain Falcon comes in. Synergy!
    Yeah, when you've got SL's yellow out, and cascade into a bunch of blue matches, that's more synergy than I can deal with...
  • atomzedatomzed Posts: 1,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Mr. fantastic is support which is why you didn't see him doing very well from the dead pool daily pair him with carnage and you'll truly see how good Mr. fantastic can be. If he didn't over lap with so many colors as hulk buster and his black matched hold busters colors they would be insane together. I think Mr. fantastic will be good eventually once enough character show up right now he is lacking

    This might sound insane (even to myself) but I was enjoying the Mr F essential node in Iso 8. He is **** in pvp, but in pve, he is actually not bad.

    MR F is at level 170 because of 4* DDQ. When he is boosted, he tanks black, red, yellow and blue in a SW-JG team. He was headbutted by Jug but after a few enemy matches he was back to full health again. His black also allows me to match those red and yellow dealing more dmg... There are times that SW causes huge cascades and I multiple-dip into Mr F black. The damage is significant.

    Btw phaser, nice write up. I like that you have the 4 tier system, which is the typical level for any meta.
  • EtheusEtheus Posts: 56
    FalCap is support and has great synergy with Cap Rogers. I even used both to climb in Rock Me Amadeus PVP. I used loaner Bro Hulk, max Cap Rogers, and 188 buffed FalCap 3/3/2. It saved me some health packs until I had enough points for people to go after my terrible defense. I used the team with great success against non-5* and teams without boosted HulkBuster. FalCap Blue greatly accelerated Rogers' shield tossing and buffed their protect tiles. He'll never be good in PVP, but he's pretty viable in PVE with the right combo.
  • AronditeArondite Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Etheus wrote:
    FalCap is support and has great synergy with Cap Rogers. I even used both to climb in Rock Me Amadeus PVP. I used loaner Bro Hulk, max Cap Rogers, and 188 buffed FalCap 3/3/2. It saved me some health packs until I had enough points for people to go after my terrible defense. I used the team with great success against non-5* and teams without boosted HulkBuster. FalCap Blue greatly accelerated Rogers' shield tossing and buffed their protect tiles. He'll never be good in PVP, but he's pretty viable in PVE with the right combo.

    With both caps' damage tied up in Red and no strike/Attack tile generation, I can't really see using them together - especially alongside a loaner. I'm sure with all the protect tile generation they were very health-pack-efficient in the long run but how long did each game end up taking?
  • zeekezeeke Age Unconfirmed Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    You know, some characters are good by themself like HB and cyke. But some really need a sparring partner to shine. Just think some of these combos and how you would rank them on that list

    1: XFDP + Thing (about the only 4* team I skip on jumps)
    2: XFDP + XFW or Kingping
    3: Carnage + Antman
    4: Carnage + Flaptain
    5: Thing + MR F (I know)
    6: JG + Carnage
    7: HB + Ant-man (use those stiketiles)
    8: Carnage + GR or Miles

    Those are just some of the teams where you have synergy (barf) and where a mid tier character can shine. I think Carnage is the best example when he is pair with someone who negates his enemy attack tiles or someone like Miles or Ghost Rider who can spam them.

    Also Ant-Man can be great if you get some stike tiles out that can double or tripple tap them.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:
    I recently bought a Cyclops blue to bring him to 5/2/5. 2-3 in yellow is nothing so I am perfectly fine waiting on the last yellow. I am not in love with him. I've been using HB/IF/Cyclops all week in pve thinking that team would allow me to Punch very fast and often. Not quite true. Either there are no team ups to grab, or reds tiles are too spaced apart for a good use of blue. At 10 red ap (and 10 team up) even with HB boosted, Cyclops hits harder so I try to use his red. I've probably pulled off a fully loaded Combined Forces maybe 3 times total all week.

    Maybe I'm just not playing him properly.

    Same. He seems very board dependent. I seem to remember reading that the drop rate for TU tiles is lower than colored tiles, so once the board gets barren of TUs, you're going to need to get really lucky to get more. I keep seeing that he's top 3, but that just makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong (or if I've just been really unlucky with boards).

    He really shines with Red Hulk. As for Ruinate, Cyclops and HulkBuster really don't play well together. I think you got too many things going on with IF/HB/Cyclops. You are chasing Red/Black/Purple and Blue. But not so much yellow (Cyclops). Not sure of your roster, pair him with Red Hulk and X-Force or a strong black user that's not Hulk Buster. The key to Cyclops is that you don't want to use yellow if you don't have very many TU's out, and Blue you need to look for a nice cluster of red. Remember the tile you select is the center of the 5x5 square. so count 2 up and 2 down and 2 left and 2 right to see the area of red you will take. Also, don't be afraid to use his red without the TU's, you dont' lose the TU's if you don't have 10 and with how quickly he can generate red, 10AP for 5.3K isn't a bad deal when it takes you a couple matches and it's right back.
  • slowej25slowej25 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 52
    Thanks for this write up Phaser. So Iceman is clearly top tier, but I never see people talking about who his "good partner" is. I see and hear all about fistbuster, jeanbuster, Xforces, etc. But is Iceman just so good on his own that he pairs with pretty much any other top tier 4*?
  • I wonder why rhulk is considered top tier. Is it his big health pool +ap drain/battery?
  • QuebbsterQuebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    ryanrod16 wrote:
    I wonder why rhulk is considered top tier. Is it his big health pool +ap drain/battery?
    That, and also a team attack and a passive that encourages you to leave him for last. Also, with the same active colors as Jean and Bobby he can be switch in depending on the situation.
    I'd much rather face a Jeanbuster or Icebuster over a Rulkbuster in PvP - I can take the teens out quickly and then focus on Hulkbuster, but against a Rulkbuster the odds are good I'll be heavily damaged before I'm done.
  • The Bob TheThe Bob The Age Unconfirmed Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:

    My biggest mistake was with Antman, I thought he was going to be really good, and execpt maybe with a 3/5/5 ProfX and against some Strike generator Goons he is really meh, they need to change Grow so you can cast it with purple or blue indistinctly, 18 AP of the same color is too much icon_e_sad.gif .

    This is the best idea I've ever heard. On this message board. Well, in this thread. Still, good idea.
  • The Bob TheThe Bob The Age Unconfirmed Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    slowej25 wrote:
    Thanks for this write up Phaser. So Iceman is clearly top tier, but I never see people talking about who his "good partner" is. I see and hear all about fistbuster, jeanbuster, Xforces, etc. But is Iceman just so good on his own that he pairs with pretty much any other top tier 4*?

    This is something I've noticed too. Iceman's consistently ranked #1, but what I see most in PVP is Jeanbusters, not Icebusters. The character's super good on his own - does he just not have a viable partner?
  • PolaresPolares Posts: 2,592 Chairperson of the Boards
    slowej25 wrote:
    Thanks for this write up Phaser. So Iceman is clearly top tier, but I never see people talking about who his "good partner" is. I see and hear all about fistbuster, jeanbuster, Xforces, etc. But is Iceman just so good on his own that he pairs with pretty much any other top tier 4*?

    This is something I've noticed too. Iceman's consistently ranked #1, but what I see most in PVP is Jeanbusters, not Icebusters. The character's super good on his own - does he just not have a viable partner?

    Well in my case is because I still need one blue cover, so for now I use him mainly for PvE. So I think there are some considerations:
    - He is a newer char, so less people have him maxed.
    - A lot of people prefer Jean for her purple, and specially, for her blue! The anti-macth5 AI machine
    - Then I think RHulk is probably faster, specially if combined we the other new top5 cyclops

    But I think bobby plays really well with IMHB. He needs probably a green producer (and not rhulk), to accelerate him a little bit, so he can be faster for PvP.
Sign In or Register to comment.