Why isn't Ant-Man considered an Avenger?

Gowaderacer
Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
With the recent run of Earth's Mightiest, it seems like everyone and their dog has been an Avenger at one time or another (except Deadpool!) but I found it very confusing that Ant-Man did not make the cut.

I know that the version we have in game is Scott and the original Ant-man in the comics that was part of the Avengers was Hank Pym but at the end of the recent movie all signs pointed toward Scott getting an invite to the Avengers and he is definitely in Civil War. Any good reason why he is not included? I actually really like playing with boosted Ant-Man.

Comments

• CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Scott was a full-fledged member of the Avengers in the mainstream Marvel comics universe too. He joined shortly before the original team was "Disassembled".
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    With the recent run of Earth's Mightiest, it seems like everyone and their dog has been an Avenger at one time or another (except Deadpool!) but I found it very confusing that Ant-Man did not make the cut.

I know that the version we have in game is Scott and the original Ant-man in the comics that was part of the Avengers was Hank Pym but at the end of the recent movie all signs pointed toward Scott getting an invite to the Avengers and he is definitely in Civil War. Any good reason why he is not included? I actually really like playing with boosted Ant-Man.

Actually as of the newly released ANAD Uncanny Avengers comic Deadpool is currently an Avenger in Steve Rogers' unity team. So yeah, Deadpool should be an Avenger too. Squirrel Girl is also part of the AIM New Avengers.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Comics continuity only works for stopping Cho and Banner Hulks being used on the same team (and the Thors). You can't just bring up examples of characters being a part of a specific team when a theme event is being run.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    if all avenger iterations were boosted, you'd have half the characters in the game. if everyone's boosted, then nobody is boosted. i agree antman should be considered to add. there has to be limits though on how many there are.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    He's a skrull. Secret invasion is the new pve. Omg icon_e_wink.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    CNash wrote:
    Scott was a full-fledged member of the Avengers in the mainstream Marvel comics universe too. He joined shortly before the original team was "Disassembled".

He joined shortly before HE was disassembled if I remember correctly.

Maybe you have to have been an Avenger for a certain amount of time, or not have died in an embarassing way that nobody can really explain. He was killed by an exploding zombie Jack of Hearts who was summoned by a madwoman who was the daughter of Magneto (no wait she wasn't because the she would be a mutant and we can't have that in our movieverse) who was driven mad for being a Nexus being who was being supercharged by Kang the Conqueror so he could use her to maintain control of the timestreams he was responsible for. (no wait it was a light energy force that took her over that Doom wanted to tap into her for).

It didn't all fit in the application form for Avengers team on MPQ, so he was denied. Deadpool ate the form and Squirrel Girl is holding out for better offers form Thanos.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because there is a "b" in both and an "n" in neither.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    They should split up "Earth's Mightiest" into a few smaller events based around specific incarnations of the Avengers.

MCU "Phase 1" would boost just 1* Black Widow, 1* Iron Man, 2* Hawkeye, 2* Captain America, 2* Thor, and 3* Hulk. This makes it a nice "entry level" event for new players who know the movies.

MCU Avengers vs Ultron would be the same as above plus Scarlet Witch, Vision, and Quicksilver AND Hulkbuster! BUT - and here's the twist - players are given a "loaner" Ultron Sentry. There are three nodes in PvP, so each of those represents a specific colour Ultron bot that you're taking with you.

All-New, All-Different Avengers would boost Kamala Khan, Vision, 4* Tor, Flaptain, Miles Morales (if he ever makes it into the game, of course), etc.

Edit: I forgot about Hulkbuster
  • Eddiemon
    Mawtful wrote:
    They should split up "Earth's Mightiest" into a few smaller events based around specific incarnations of the Avengers.

I like your idea but I think trying to base it on specific defined teams may be counterproductive. If you go through the comics and MCU there have probably been close to 100 different Avengers teams.

So maybe instead just have Cap, Hawkeye or Luke Cage have selected a team of 8-10 Avengers for the event. Give the leader an extra boost and Bob's your uncle.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    It should just be all Heroes buffed just like all Villains are buffed on Nefarious Foes
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    For that matter, isn't Fury technically not an Avenger in any continuity?
  • It should just be all Heroes buffed just like all Villains are buffed on Nefarious Foes
    But that's literally every other character not buffed in Nefarious Foes.
  • It should just be all Heroes buffed just like all Villains are buffed on Nefarious Foes

Well, the heroes DO outnumber the villains by a good amount.

Which is why you have Earth's Mightiest and Children of the Atom to cover most of the gaps, give or take.

Except Ant-man

Poor Ant-man.
  • Eddiemon
    colwag wrote:
    It should just be all Heroes buffed just like all Villains are buffed on Nefarious Foes

Well, the heroes DO outnumber the villains by a good amount.

Which is why you have Earth's Mightiest and Children of the Atom to cover most of the gaps, give or take.

Except Ant-man

Poor Ant-man.

He's so ronery......

Maybe he can sign up for a FF group to go along with the FF characters, Cho and bag man.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    thisone wrote:
    He's a skrull. Secret invasion is the new pve. Omg icon_e_wink.gif

That would be so great to login one day and see half your roster with Green faces and ribbed chins. Holiday PVP maybe?