D3 here's what you can do for the server crash on 8 July

Options
2»

Comments

• meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Peaked at 972 in PvP, then got hit for 138 in total during one battle.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    With forums down yesterday and servers down later that same evening... sounds almost like a datacenter migration.. maybe a little heads up next time..

There's no datacenter migration going on. The two issues were completely unrelated and both were outside of our initial control. We'd love to have the power of prescience, but we can't give a heads-up on something when we don't know it's coming. icon_e_wink.gif

Thanks!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    Malcrof wrote:
    With forums down yesterday and servers down later that same evening... sounds almost like a datacenter migration.. maybe a little heads up next time..

There's no datacenter migration going on. The two issues were completely unrelated and both were outside of our initial control. We'd love to have the power of prescience, but we can't give a heads-up on something when we don't know it's coming. icon_e_wink.gif

Thanks!

was just hypothesizing, Thought maybe you were getting bigger guns in for the Ant-man-athon coming up!
  • Unknown
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    Malcrof wrote:

Thanks!

I realize it can get tedious, but I really appreciate you guys showing up to dispel some of the stuff we imagine on the forum. While the theorizing usually seems relatively good natured and with good intent, I'm guessing I'm not the only one who values you guys sharing a bit of knowledge about what is, and perhaps more importantly, is not happening...

Now, while you're here, care to take a jaunt over the the "the AI knows what's going to happen before it happens" thread and share some knowledge? icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    They've done a good job providing compensation in the past, but it still sucks when you miss rewards as a result. I think they should do one of the off-season events with the missed cover as a reward. This coming from a player that couldn't even win it!
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    Malcrof wrote:

Thanks!

Your name is Paul Muad'Dib and I claim my $5.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    They've done a good job providing compensation in the past

When was this, exactly?

• TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    MarCr wrote:
    The server went down on the eve of an event launch; put it down to experience, move on and expect the same next time. I went to the key cutter last week, its was quite annoying, he had gone out for lunch minutes before I arrived. When he got back I didn't demand 10 keys and a long written apology, I got my key cut and made a mental note not to go back when he might be on lunch.

You're either too new to this game to really speak on the situation or too vetted to remember what it's like to struggle for points, grind instead of sleep,,spend money, and then have it all be for naught. lol
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Options
    To compensate the PvP players, something that they could do is to run a bonus PvP event with another red Hulkbuster reward.
  • Unknown
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    You're either too new to this game to really speak on the situation or too vetted to remember what it's like to struggle for points, grind instead of sleep,,spend money, and then have it all be for naught. lol
    Im just old enough to remember going to Destard dungeon in Ultima Online with my White Wyrm and Nightmare, then filling up with gold. Then when I relogged the server had crashed and I lost both my pets & gold, and I was a ghost with all my armour missing. That really was frustrating.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    They've done a good job providing compensation in the past,

They have?! Must have been on a day I didn't log in.
  • Unknown
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    They've done a good job providing compensation in the past

I'm guessing you didn't lose something significant due to one of their classic server crashes. The Ultron 1 crash lost me a 4* Thor, the last Cap 3* that I needed and 2 or 3 tokens. I seem to remember they compensated everyone with 4 or 5 event tokens, which most people collected 1250 ISO from. Hardly fair. You can bet they will probably do the same (maybe throwing in 100HP or something). Hardly realistic compensation for the 3* or 4* cover you were targeting.

I see a couple of ideas already posted. The sale idea in isolation is laughable I'm afraid. I know a bunch of people who are less inclined to give D3 any money. I actually think the last month or so has been much better from them, but their reaction to this has been amateur - certainly in terms of communication.

The roster slots thing makes sense, but I still don't think it goes far enough.

If they are serious about providing proper compensation (which of course is unrealistic optimism on my part), then they should consider the following:

Whenever a PvP is impacted:
    1. Add 300 points to any player impacted. This should ensure that they hit whichever progression award they missed.
    2. Double the scope of the placement awards. So for instance in the last PvP - top 2 get 4* cover (rather than top 1), 3-10 get 3 covers (rather than 2-5), down to 101-200 get 3* cover (rather than 51-100). This should also apply to alliances.

Whenever a PvE is impacted:
    1. Points for a full clear of the current sub is added to any player in a slice that is affected.
    2. Double the scope of placement awards (see above) for the sub and full PvE.

It would be a pain to do manually, but given how often theses issues occur, I'm sure they could right an algorithm to deal with this. Given the PR disaster that these constant technical issues cause, this would mean that they wouldn't have to deal with a host of tickets, and might actually give something back to the community.

Of course we'll probably all get 4 tokens and 100 HP!
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    250 HP. Only 1/10th of the redflag.png Hulkbuster I missed out on, 1/15th if you include the blackflag.png Captain Marvel. I feel sorry for those that wasted HP on shields.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options
    Please use the server crash thread to discuss this. Keeping things to one thread when possible.
This discussion has been closed.