All about Characters that don't exist in game.

I notice a lot of people clamoring for "insert the character you want here". I recently learned something when building a website for a company that uses marvel characters on their site. You have to pay Disney/Fox/Sony to use those characters publicly. And for two of those companies (I am not naming which ones, because I don't want to be sued for slander) ridiculously require that you use artists they choose. As a note those dudes charge a crazy amount for small things...

I am going to venture to guess D3/Demiurge aren't introducing the characters because they are either in the works with an agreement with the company that owns the rights or they don't want to pay for a character we are not going to use even when buffed (see Ragnarok, Doc Ock). I really want to see Nightcrawler because he is my favorite character (I know right.... why him?), but when we tried to use him on the website the company that owns his rights wanted a lot more than the company wanted to pay.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    What if we give Stan Lee a cameo? You know he loves his cameos!

Excelsior!
  • Malcrof wrote:

Excelsior!

Lol one guy in the company I am working with said the same thing!
  • Malcrof
    Here is something slightly off topic, and not. Why not put in some lesser known, almost forgotten about characters.. With the reading lists posted with new character releases, a whole new generation may end up loving an older forgotten about hero/villain.

This in turn could end up with more movies, tv shows, etc...

I mean seriously, i forgot how much i enjoyed Rom: Spaceknight, and Cloak and Dagger.. until i went back and re-read them again as an adult.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Yes Stan Lee could be a team up. He is in every film. Even on the TV show's like agents of shield

Would like to Dr Strange. Also Carnage. Four star Hawkeye. Just imagine the speed shot on that one
  • Malcrof
    mr_X wrote:
    Four star Hawkeye. Just imagine the speed shot on that one

Kate Bishop would be the only one acceptable.
  • I would like to see some of the lesser known ones (I know ever since the first Avengers movie, the rights to them were all purchased by different companies, mainly Disney if I remember right). I would love to see The Black Knight.

I know some time this summer Wasp, Ant-Man and Yellowjacket will be released in tandem with the movie. I hope they release both versions of Ant-Man, I like Hank much better than Scott. Pym had a conscience and actually felt guilty for the damage he and the Avengers caused.
  • Malcrof
    traedoril wrote:
    I would like to see some of the lesser known ones (I know ever since the first Avengers movie, the rights to them were all purchased by different companies, mainly Disney if I remember right). I would love to see The Black Knight.

I know some time this summer Wasp, Ant-Man and Yellowjacket will be released in tandem with the movie. I hope they release both versions of Ant-Man, I like Hank much better than Scott. Pym had a conscience and actually felt guilty for the damage he and the Avengers caused.

Don't forget Giant Man and Scientist Supreme!

We can have teams of nothing but Pym!!!
  • Malcrof wrote:
    traedoril wrote:
    I would like to see some of the lesser known ones (I know ever since the first Avengers movie, the rights to them were all purchased by different companies, mainly Disney if I remember right). I would love to see The Black Knight.

Don't forget Giant Man and Scientist Supreme!

We can have teams of nothing but Pym!!!

Man I forgot about scientist supreme and I like Bill Foster better as Giant Man / Goliath even though:
    He is killed by Ragnarok in the Civil War
  • Malcrof
    What about Dracula? He exists in the Marvel Universe, and according to U.S. copyright law, any work published prior to 1923 is in the public domain, so he can be used by anyone.
  • we need wasp, pym was a ****bag in the tv show
  • Born2DieNPvP
    Born2DieNPvP Posts: 163
    I'd love to see Namor for one reason. Team up with LCap and LTorch for an Invaders team! Build his powers on complementing theirs and I think he'd be great. Maybe a strong purple attack (for rainbow coverage), a 9ap yellow that strengthens attack tiles, and a low cost green that decreases friendly countdown tiles so Cap gets his shield back earlier and Torch gets one extra blast from his green that round with damage based on green left after Submariner's skill to keep it from being too op. And since his team mates both have 2 star counterparts he'd be viable for new and vet players.
  • Malcrof
    I'd love to see Namor for one reason. Team up with LCap and LTorch for an Invaders team! Build his powers on complementing theirs and I think he'd be great. Maybe a strong purple attack (for rainbow coverage), a 9ap yellow that strengthens attack tiles, and a low cost green that decreases friendly countdown tiles so Cap gets his shield back earlier and Torch gets one extra blast from his green that round with damage based on green left after Submariner's skill to keep it from being too op. And since his team mates both have 2 star counterparts he'd be viable for new and vet players.

Cap has blue and red countdown tiles, torch has green, so Namor would need a purple countdown tile at minimum to keep synergy.
  • Born2DieNPvP
    Born2DieNPvP Posts: 163
    Malcrof wrote:

Cap has blue and red countdown tiles, torch has green, so Namor would need a purple countdown tile at minimum to keep synergy.

The purple could be a countdown like MNMags' red that damages single target or maybe even whole enemy team at 5 covers. That might be too much though.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:

Excelsior!

He's probably the dude under the paper bag
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2015
    traedoril wrote:

Yes, obscure characters are welcome (every now and then), but we're still missing A LOT of iconic characters... come on, where's Red Skull (Red/Green/Black)?

Kang, with some time-themed skill (it would be great if every time he uses one of them, he turns into one of his different incarnations: Rama Tut, Immortus)?

Joe Fixit? (they should introduce the grey tiles, though!)

Of course, we need Apocalypse, sooner or later; and talking about minor characters: bring in Lockjaw, because who doesn't love Lockjaw? Now think about a team with Lockjaw/Devil Dino and Frog Thor!
  • donietsche
    Malcrof wrote:
    What about Dracula? He exists in the Marvel Universe, and according to U.S. copyright law, any work published prior to 1923 is in the public domain, so he can be used by anyone.

But the version of Dracula used by Marvel is not in the public domain, though icon_e_wink.gif
  • Malcrof wrote:

The Dracula in the books written in the 1890's by Bram Stoker was named Count Dracula and never given a first name. The marvel comic book Dracula is based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler (As I am writing this I am realizing just how big of a nerd I am...) hence why in the Marvel world his name is Vlad Dracula (not to be confused with Alcuard Dracula from Castlevania (I really should stop while I am behind...)). They used Transylvania and the vampire story as an attempt to keep us familiar with the character. It fit really well in a universe with Blade and Morbius.

I say all that to say, Disney owns the rights to Vlad Dracula of the Marvel universe.

If you are interested in who owns the rights to the popular characters (These are only the popular characters not most of whom we have talked about in this post):

http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-movies-characters-carl-6766/
  • donietsche
    traedoril wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

The Dracula in the books written in the 1890's by Bram Stoker was named Count Dracula and never given a first name. The marvel comic book Dracula is based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler (As I am writing this I am realizing just how big of a nerd I am...) hence why in the Marvel world his name is Vlad Dracula (not to be confused with Alcuard Dracula from Castlevania (I really should stop while I am behind...)). They used Transylvania and the vampire story as an attempt to keep us familiar with the character. It fit really well in a universe with Blade and Morbius.

I say all that to say, Disney owns the rights to Vlad Dracula of the Marvel universe.

If you are interested in who owns the rights to the popular characters (These are only the popular characters not most of whom we have talked about in this post):

those are the cinematic rights, though (sold and not merely licensed during the nineties/early 2k): Marvel can use or license for other usages all of its characters.

Unless the product is a direct spin-off of/tie-in to the movie (I guess). In that case it's possible that a joint license is required (but it depends on the specific agreements Marvel signed with Fox and Sony back then).
  • donietsche wrote:
    traedoril wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

those are the cinematic rights, though (sold and not merely licensed during the nineties/early 2k): Marvel can use or license for other usages all of its characters.

Unless the product is a direct spin-off of/tie-in to the movie (I guess).

That is partially true; however, if you want to add a Daredevil Image to a webpage you need Marvel/Disney's permission (and for a small fee (per image)) they will be happy to allow it. You "could" say screw them I am going to do it anyway and if your NOT a company they probably won't care.
  • donietsche
    traedoril wrote:
    donietsche wrote:
    traedoril wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Unless the product is a direct spin-off of/tie-in to the movie (I guess).

That is partially true; however, if you want to add a Daredevil Image to a webpage you need Marvel/Disney's permission (and for a small fee (per image)) they will be happy to allow it. You "could" say screw them I am going to do it anyway and if your NOT a company they probably won't care.

Sure but that's because the artwork belongs to Marvel. Even Fox or Sony need to ask permission to Marvel in order to use the artwork from the comics (I don't know if this is what you were talking about; it's obvious that the average joe and/or any company can't use Marvel's properties without permission; if the material comes from the film, then Sony or Fox will be involved).