Will Season XV be the Season of the ****?

stowaway
stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm making some assumptions here, any of which may be untrue: 1) that the weekly rotating buffs will continue; 2) that they will cycle through all the characters before any character is repeated; 3) that the first time the experiment was run (when it was Thor, Loki, Hood, Patch) will be included in that cycle.

In the new edition of the character rankings, there are thirteen 3* in the top twenty. Out of those thirteen, all but one (Steve Rogers) have already been included in the rotating buffs. We're only halfway through the cycle. That means we're looking at an entire season of bottom-half 3*. Some of those are still perfectly good, and will be beastly when buffed; Torch, Hulk and Deadpool are all in that group.

Any thoughts on the implications of this? Long term, there might be some good to come of it. If Demiurge gets some solid data on which characters people refuse to use even when they're boosted, it might lead to some re-balancing of bottom-tier characters.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we still have all the latest releases to come as well, QS, SW, Vision, Bullseye, etc..

Will be fun to play with odd rosters, let's see what they can do.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    well, at least we'll be playing for some characters we care about. this season sucked - only had 3 decent characters in blade, deadpool and loki (maybe 4 if you count shulk, but mine is barely begun, so not worried about her - some rave about SW too but haven't pulled her out to play yet). other than spidey, I don't think there's a character I really don't care anything about that wasn't included this season, and I'm more excited about spidey than half of this season's cast. so, regardless of who gets buffed, at least i'll care about who I'm fighting for.
  • stowaway
    It's true TxMoose, it was a pretty lousy run of characters. But I "needed" most of the t100 rewards this season (only Loki and Psylocke exempted). My enthusiasm for competing for covers I don't need to just to keep my season placement is rapidly waning.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    My expectation in a season full of Doc Ock level characters is just that the 4* will become prevalent. Not sure 350 Elektra will show up, but would expect 270 4Thor/XForce/Fury/Prof X to get more use.
  • stowaway
    Malcrof wrote:
    I think we still have all the latest releases to come as well, QS, SW, Vision, Bullseye, etc..

Scarlet Witch has been, and I really enjoyed using her, even at ten covers. People with a fully covered Vision will have a great time; he's very much like Gamora, in that he's awesome if he can tank every color.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope multi boosted characters don't continue. This was my 3rd PVP season at the max 3* level and by far the worst experience yet
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea of weekly buffed characters, but only for PVE. They have no place in PVP.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    I like the idea of weekly buffed characters, but only for PVE. They have no place in PVP.

I'd have to agree here. It helps manage the ridiculous scaling in PvE, but it makes PvP feel like PvE-lite.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    stowaway wrote:
    If Demiurge gets some solid data on which characters people refuse to use even when they're boosted, it might lead to some re-balancing of bottom-tier characters.

I think the issue there is I'd refuse to use Squirrel Girl because she's currently level 70 unbuffed. So even buffed she wouldn't be of much use to me.
    And she's level 70 *because* she's kinda eh. So...people don't level the eh characters because they're eh. And they won't use them when boosted because they didn't level them.

Wait...I thought I was pointing out a catch 22 when in reality I'm actually agreeing with you and backing up your post.

I really can't brain today.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I think the issue there is I'd refuse to use Squirrel Girl because she's currently level 70 unbuffed. So even buffed she wouldn't be of much use to me.
    And she's level 70 *because* she's kinda eh. So...people don't level the eh characters because they're eh. And they won't use them when boosted because they didn't level them.

Wait...I thought I was pointing out a catch 22 when in reality I'm actually agreeing with you and backing up your post.

I really can't brain today.

My Squirrel of the Girl is quite well covered and sitting at level 127. When boosted, her 5 cover Furry Friends were a freaking nuke. Like Speed Shot on steroids, except creating 4 AP per turn for me before blowing up.