For the next event, am I supposed to lose on purpose?

Options
yunnnn
yunnnn Posts: 168 Tile Toppler
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
The top tier prize is an EMN mythic. And since there's only six possible EMN mythics... I've got them all (from #1ing the other events).

...Is the game telling me to lose on purpose so I can get a rare instead?

I'm certainly being a little facetious, but the point remains:
After people crack open Deploy the Gatewatch, what are they really supposed to look forward to in event rewards? The other 5 mythics are deplorably worse. By printing a set where half of the mythics must be purchased, it really cheapens the value of events and further makes the game pay2win.

I just happen to be lucky enough to get them all so soon. The top 10 coalitions are all going to be making the same complaint soon enough; as their guaranteed EMN rares start dropping in, they are going to realize that the EMN mythic reward is a total wash.
30dgvo5.png

Yea.. I'm aware that I would get 50 more crystals from #1-5... but knowing how the drop rates are, a guaranteed rare has got to be worth at least 200 crystals.
zl3p81.png

Comments

• THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It is sort of ridiculous, I'd like to know why they did this
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can I volunteer to have this problem too?
  • yunnnn
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Can I volunteer to have this problem too?

I'm certainly being a little facetious, but the point remains:
    After people crack open Deploy the Gatewatch, what are they really supposed to look forward to in event rewards? The other 5 mythics are deplorably worse.

I just happen to be lucky enough to get them all so soon. The top 10 coalitions are all going to be making the same complaint soon enough; as their guaranteed EMN rares start dropping in, they are going to realize that the EMN mythic reward is a total wash.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just consider it a 1000 rune prize. That should bring you a bit of joy.

Ok. No joy.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You could up your mastery and stop slumming it in Gold tier. Then you won't have to work quite so hard to lose some games. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can we stop giving out mythics to top coalitions?

Its one thing for them to keep pulling away by getting better cards faster and reduce competitive strength for the rest.

Now I have to read this tinykitty brag about how he has too many mythics? Seriously?
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd prefer something like a prize wall, where you can select from a variety of items. If you don't want a random Mythic from the current set, maybe you could choose to get a random Mythic from a different set, or several rares, or a specific rare, or a fat pack, or a pile of Runes.

Personally, I've left the rat race of the top 10 coalition lifestyle and have joined up with a team in the top 100. If you don't want to be in a top 10 coalition, there are plenty of other people who would be grateful to have your slot.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Honestly, all i want is deploy! But no, i have 4 trees instead icon_mad.gif
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:
    The top tier prize is an EMN mythic. And since there's only six possible EMN mythics... I've got them all (from #1ing the other events).
    yunnnn wrote:
    Yea.. I'm aware that I would get 50 more crystals from #1-5... but knowing how the drop rates are, a guaranteed rare has got to be worth at least 200 crystals.

Ironically, it's because you're getting a ton of packs, crystals, and cards for free that the drop rates in the packs are so low.
  • ironer
    ironer Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm from top 10 coalition
    during SOI i have received 4 Relentless Dead in a row as a coalition reward
    And for EMN - I already have 3 copies of Nahiri's Wrath

there are no reason for me to sell them for runes because I have more than 1 200 000 runes from QB
  • yunnnn
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    Ironically, it's because you're getting a ton of packs, crystals, and cards for free that the drop rates in the packs are so low.

This makes sense, but it sounds like you're blaming me for actually winning the cards. icon_razz.gif

What you said is just a part of their sales strategy:
    A. They create event rewards, so players are enticed to spend money on cards to win the events.
    B. Because of (A), they must dilute the drop rates to maintain artificial scarcity on their imaginary assets, in order to continue making money.
    C. Because of (B), the drop rates are so low that they find an opportunity to sell exclusive single Mythics (which often have better odds than buying a box) for almost 30$.

They designed this system to funnel the 3 target market groups into these categories:
    1. The free2players, who can still get rewards if they play all the events.
    2. The midrange IAPers, who can get ahead by efficiently buying the exclusive mythics.
    3. The whales, who will buy big boxes even if they rarely contain anything good.

I don't have a huge complaint about this scheme. It's just that the execution is all wrong:
    3. It's not fun to whale. I tried it, and got a bunch of dupes. Feels bad man.
    2. The exclusive mythics are wayyyy too abundant. Half the mythics from a set? Come on. When it outright feels like a money grab, it's just not fun.
    1. The events give me a bunch of dupes because I win every event. Dupes aren't fun.
  • Stormbringer0
    Stormbringer0 Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:
    1. The events give me a bunch of dupes because I win every event. Dupes aren't fun.

Then let others win instead of blocking the front seat. icon_e_wink.gif
  • yunnnn
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:

Then let others win instead of blocking the front seat. icon_e_wink.gif

Isn't that the point of this entire thread?

... I'm gonna let someone else win so they can get the mythic, and I get the rare. Good luck to those in my bracket icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is this another bragging thread.

There have only been 2 events with emn mythic rewards so far and you could get only 3 EMN mythics as placement rewards and that only if you placed in top 5 and your coalition placed in top 10.... the rest are from qb i suppose

You have been lucky with the drop rates, most people got dupes instead. I'd be content with that and happily go for rares.

Although i was a little surprised too that half the mythics were exclusive with this expansion. But i can live with that
  • shteev
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    You could up your mastery and stop slumming it in Gold tier. Then you won't have to work quite so hard to lose some games. icon_e_wink.gif

Ooh, Burn!!!!!!!!!!
  • shteev
    Options
    khurram wrote:
    Is this another bragging thread.

Where is Pqmtg- when you need him?
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Til there are people that want deploy.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think current the problem lies more on the low amount of mythics obtainable than on prize system.
    6 is too low.
    Of course there are also people(like me) not so ahead.
    I got 3 from saved packs and 3 crystal big boxes. Rewards has only given me dupes.

I don't recall OGW having this low amount of obtainable mythics at launch.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sounds like OP has succeeded at beating the game. Congratulations! Now you can play and experiment with your new cards without caring for placement anymore, or find something else to do with your free time until the next batch of mythics is up for grabs.
  • yunnnn
    Options
    Omega Red wrote:
    Sounds like OP has succeeded at beating the game. Congratulations! Now you can play and experiment with your new cards without caring for placement anymore, or find something else to do with your free time until the next batch of mythics is up for grabs.

That's the first and only good piece of advice I've received.